February 5, 2014

Chores

I used to read about the importance of kids doing chores.  I knew it was true, and that it would help my kids so much, but wasn't really sure where to start. 

Here's what I've come up with so far.  Emily still doesn't really have anything she's completely responsible for although she does clean up and fetch things for me now and then.  :)  Andrew, on the other hand, has really started to thrive with his new responsibilities.

1.  Bring all dirty clothes in from his room.
2.  Fold all kitchen washcloths and towels.
3.  Put away his clothes.
4.  Sweep the living room.
5.  Watch Charlie when I'm busy with Emily or using the bathroom.

These are just the consistent ones.  He also helps out with other things when I ask him, and he earns "stars."  All I have to do is say, "You want to earn a star?" and he will usually jump to do whatever in order to get me to draw one on the calendar.  When he gets three, he gets a treat.  Usually it's a few chocolate chips or a muffin or something.  It's part bribery, part incentive.  And it works.

I love watching him learn and grow.  Serving around the house will help him to want to serve his family, his community, his God, and his friends.  I'm glad we've started this.

No comments: