March 20, 2016

Want to Be Friends? Check yes or no...

Lately I've been really thinking about friends.  As kids, we make friends so quickly.  Emily told me the other day that she played with her best friend at the Y.  Her name?  Who knows.  But she wore purple butterfly clips, and she was AWESOME.
So why do we as people feel the need to have friends?  Is it purely so we can be justified in thinking that we're pretty good company?  Is it so we learn and grow from each other?  Is it so we can borrow their purple butterfly clips?
 
There are so many levels of "friends."  There are people you adore and consider friends, but you just haven't spent a lot of time with them one on one.  There are your "best" friends that you feel you know better than anyone. 
 
There are your partners-in-crime.  These are, for me, usually my family members (and obviously Emily feels the same.)  If you're lucky enough to have a family member as a friend, you have a strong bond and someone who shares a plethora of memories with you.  I feel that way about my sisters, and about my husband.
 
Friends bring an element of fun.  You can act ridiculous around them.  You can go on and on about how much you love a new recipe, and they'll calmly listen to you go on and on about it.  They will get up and dance with you in a painting session.  They will laugh with you about the silly things you do.
 
Friends are there when you need them.  They help provide a balance.
 
When they leave, or when you leave, it often leaves a hole in your heart.  (Come back, Beccy!!!) 
 
Friends allow a bit of goofiness into our lives.
 
Or maybe a lot of goofiness. 
(Reisners and Guerras - it's definitely triple date time again!)
 
We were so super lucky in Bolivar to meet so many people who filled so many roles.  I really felt such support and love there from all of them.  And now that we've moved, it feels weird.
 
(PSA:  Don't try to use Honey Maid crackers for gingerbread houses.  They crumble.)
 
I don't think it's simple to make friends.  How do you say to someone, "Hey!  I think you're a neat person.  I don't think I'm so bad, either.  Wanna be friends?"
 
It's not like I think they'll say no, but seriously how do you approach that?
 
There have been a few people I've met here in Springfield that seem so AMAZING.  I want to be their friend.  I think I'm going to have to just have the guts to essentially ask to be buddies.  I won't actually give them a note that says "Wanna be friends?  Check yes or no." but I'm going to have to put myself out there. 
 
Because friends are important.  I've learned so much from them throughout my life, and I don't want to miss out on an opportunity to get to know someone I'll love so much because I'm scared.
 
I've said friend a LOT in this post.  Pals, amigos, buddies, comrades?  Just be mine. :)

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Hey! It's good to see you posting again. I've been wondering how you've been since your move. Hope you're settling in okay. :)

kirsten said...

One of my closest friends in my neighborhood/ward moved in about 5 years ago. Our paths simply didn't cross, I didn't ever get to know her until I started going back to book club last summer after a years long absence, and she had joined after I left. After a fun conversation one evening, we were walking home and she said: I will just say it, I think we should be best friends. And I laughed and said, OK!
So maybe you should just try! :)